Friday, July 5, 2013

Camping in Fredericksburg

I love peace, beautiful scenery, trees, fresh air, food off the grill, and wine. Combine these things, and I'm in Heaven. A couple of weeks ago, that wish came true. My family celebrated the official start of summer with a camping trip to Fredericksburg. The weekend included shopping, great food, peace and quiet, and wine tasting. What more could I ask for?

I should clarify, I'm not really the "camping" type girl. I love the outdoors, but equally love air conditioning, indoor plumbing, and a soft bed. Too much Texas heat, peeing in the woods, and sleeping in the dirt do not sound appealing to me. The Tracey version of camping includes taking the RV, renting a space at a campground, and bringing all the amenities to the outdoors - and that's exactly what we did!

The weekend began with a peaceful drive through the hill country. I giggled with excitement as I passed through Austin and approached the rolling hills. Something about seeing tall rocks on the landscape makes me so happy. I want to live amongst big rocks (otherwise known as mountains) in a few years. Add a slow-flowing river. Done. Ahhh... and back to Fredericksburg.

Friday was spent sitting outside under the shade of tall trees reading a good book. I could live my entire life like that and be perfectly happy.

On Saturday, we went to downtown Fredericksburg to enjoy the shops. The main street of the city is filled with cute little shops selling unique items. I picked up a few gift items for friends, homemade queso and salsa, a yellow rose scented candle, and many bottles of wine (but we'll get to that). After strolling through the shops, we went to The Wildflower Store which is a hodgepodge of all things good: seeds, flowers, trinkets, pickled, jammed, salsa-ed food, and of course, wine. We enjoyed wine tasting and bought chocolate wine for my coffee on weekend mornings, peach moscato for girls' night, and my favorite riesling. The day ended with grilling t-bone steaks and beans, eating fresh peaches, and making smores. Yum!

Sunday we headed home where another adventure began (which will be coming soon to the blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment