Sunday, August 4, 2013

Wait for it...

Growing up, my dad gave me some great advice. One of his stand-by phrases was "Don't ask a question if you can't live with the answer." This was usually his response to one of my meltdowns. I have a few character flaws that make me obsess, over think, and constantly second guess big life decisions. During one of these crazy periods, he would look at me and say, "well, don't ask the question if you can't live with the answer" followed by a dramatic scene from A Few Good Men.


While my problems and "big decisions" from my early twenties and teen years seem petty now, at the time, they were all I could think about. Now that I will officially be in my "mid-to-late twenties" later this month, decisions are a little more important. Within the next year, I will solidify my graduate committee, take my LAST courses, take my comprehensive exams, defend my proposal for my dissertation, and begin the dissertation process. These are the final BIG steps to getting a Ph.D.

After these tasks are completed, I have to think about the more practical changes coming up - selling my house, packing up all my stuff, getting a job, and moving away from the place I truly grew up. I have no idea where I will be in two years, but I like that. I also like that I have come to the realization that graduating this last time is exciting and I'm finally ready for it. May of 2015 will be monumental in my life, but these last two school years leading up to it will be epic.

As I've been thinking about all of these big steps to come and eventual life changes, I've had to ask myself some really tough questions. So far, I have been able to live with all of the answers, but stay tuned because there is still a long way to go!

To quote my newest obsession: these next two year will be LEGEND....wait for it.....

Stay tuned to see how this ends,

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment