Monday, January 13, 2014

Book #1 of 2014

My first book of 2014 is read! It took me about a week into the month to actually finish reading anything because this year has already started off with a bang!

I actually began reading this book in late December, but then set it aside to start my prelims, and picked it back up a few days ago. I really, really liked it and now know what all the fuss was about.

Book #1 of 2014 - The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

This book has been on my reading list for a long time. The Goodreads reviews are pretty positive and it has been on the best-seller lists for a while. After reading it, I see what everyone was talking about - I loved it! It's definitely up there as one of those books I am really happy I read. 

The story is about a young shepherd boy who one day meets a king who tells him to journey to see the pyramids because it his is "Personal Legend". The boy then uproots his life and sets off on a journey that will change him as he grows into manhood. He makes twists and turns and meets many interesting people along the way. He is challenged and faces many obstacles, some that he overcomes and some that he does not.

The book is very folk-tale-ish, which I love, and the entire story is a metaphor for life. Just a few of the life lessons in this story revolve around chasing your dreams, finding true happiness, and persevering even when things don't go as you planned. I really like books that make me think and have beautiful language. Two quotes from this book that I will remember for a long time to come are: 

"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."

"Love is the force that transforms and improves the Soul of the World."

Sometimes, when I have put off reading a book for a long time, I feel like God pushes me to read a certain tale. This is one of those tales. The book was not as action-packed as I expected but had beautiful prose and reiterated one of the most important lessons of life - do not give up on your dreams and do not be afraid of failure. How wonderful.

Book #1 down, 47 more to go to my goal! Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment