Monday, May 26, 2014

London Calling - Day 1

I have returned from my European adventure!! 

I realize that many people travel out of the country, but this was my first international trip so I am very excited about it. It has been the trip of a lifetime for me. I left London feeling inspired, rejuvenated, and ready to take on the world. I've never had such a connection with a city and truly loved the entire experience. I cannot wait to return! 

I was the graduate assistant to a professor leading a study abroad to London. The trip was a week-long Literary Tour of London. My literature-loving heart could not be more excited. Our days were jam packed, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. 

Day 1

Technically, our first day consisted of travel. We had to drive to Houston, get 30 undergraduate girls checked into the flight, and then flew overnight to London. We arrived at 7:30 in the morning to begin our adventure! 

Windsor Castle and St. George's Chapel

Upon gathering all of our belongings, we first headed to Windsor Castle and St. George's Chapel. This is the springtime home to the Queen, and we just missed her (she moved out in late April). The only rain we got all week was within the first 30-minutes of visiting Windsor Castle and we got soaked, but didn't care. The castle was beautiful and breathtaking - what I always pictured an English castle to be! 








The Globe, London Eye, Big Ben, and Buckingham Palace

As I said, most of our time was accounted for, but there were a few moments of "free time". After Windsor Castle, we checked into the hotel and had the rest of the day free. The other instructor and I took this opportunity to cross some items off our to-do list. We had a VERY busy afternoon. 

First and foremost, my literature-loving heart had had had to go to The Globe theater. I would have loved to see a show but that didn't happen. I got the next best thing. We did a tour of the Globe and were fortunate enough to go during rehearsals for the show later that week -Antony and Cleopatra. Seeing rehearsals was as good (in my mind) as seeing a full show. It was everything I could expect and more. While watching one scene and sitting in the theater, I got a bit emotional and realized just how lucky I was. This was one of the highlights of the trip for me - though I cannot possibly choose just one favorite! 



After the Globe, we hoped over to the London Eye. I am a sucker for a nice view and this fit the bill. It was a little damp from the rain, but we didn't care. We got a birds-eye view of Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and the rest of London. As an added bonus, the rain caused a double rainbow over the entire city. It was a great view and so beautiful.





After the London Eye, we walked by Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and all the way over to Buckingham Palace! It was quite a trek and after a full day of travel, we were exhausted. But, you only live once!






And that was Day 1! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment