Thursday, June 5, 2014

London Calling - Day 6

So sad! We have come to our final day in London. :( Today was just as busy as the rest. (Technically, we woke up the next morning in London but only went to the airport and flew home.)

We started today by going to King's Cross Station to visit Platform 9 3/4 (where Harry Potter left for Hogwarts). After the previous day's Harry Potter overload, this was even more special. 



After King's Cross Station, we went to the Charles Dickens Museum. I have always loved Dickens. When I was a child, my mom gave me a copy of A Christmas Carol with an inscription in it. I read this novel for the first time that year and have read it every year since. Without a doubt, it is my favorite novel (if I had to choose). I am also a lover of A Tale of Two Cities, even if it hurts a bit at the end. 

Again, I was excited and encouraged to learn that Charles Dickens wrote at the same time every day! He lived by routine and could not do anything else worthwhile in a day if he didn't get his writing done. :) Yay for great writers! 





I should also mention I drank a LOT of coffee in London. After every meal, coffee or tea was served, and I opted for coffee nearly every time. This definitely fed my coffee addiction but also helped keep me alert as I was dog-tired most of the time. 

After the Charles Dickens museum, we made a quick pitstop to see Peter Pan! 


Our final stop was the Tower of London! Again, I don't feel we had enough time, but it was fun nonetheless. We got to see where people were beheaded (creepy!), tour a castle set up as it would have been in the 1200s, and toured the White Tower which has historical significance in England. The Tower of London was built as a protector of London, but was used for a lot of killings. The Crown Jewels are also housed here! 






The next morning we hopped on a plane and came home! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment