Monday, July 21, 2014

Favorite TV Shows!

Welcome to Summer! 

This is one of the only times I get to watch TV, guilt-free...only problem, TV isn't very enjoyable in the summertime. There are not nearly enough "good" TV shows on, and I quickly lose interest in most of the shows. One of the blogs I enjoy following recently did a "favorite 10" TV shows and movies. This inspired me to make my own TV-show list (but I don't know if I can come up with 10). 

1. Gilmore Girls. Without a doubt this is my favorite TV show of all time. About once a year, I work my way through the entire series and am completely happy all over again. Mostly, I love this show for the witty banter - I get most of the jokes and references about pop culture. Secondly, I love Rory. She is intellectual, a bit quiet and reserved, classy, and loves literature. Basically, she is me in a TV character. I love the relationship she has with her mom, her determination to meet her goals, and that she would rather stay in and read or watch a movie than go out. I like the way the show ended; it wasn't perfect but the characters ended up as they should. I love that Rory ended the show single because she was way too young to be with one guy. In my mind, she got her career started and later in life, reconnects with Jess and they end up together traveling and writing. :) 

2. The Big Bang Theory. I cannot get enough of these characters. I think this show is hilarious and right up my ally in terms of geeky-comedy. The characters make fun of most of my personality flaws (OCD, organized, nerdy). I've only made it through the entire series once, but I've watched many re-runs and genuinely enjoy every minute of it. I'll be sad when the show is over, but it is definitely remaining second to Gilmore Girls in terms of wonderful TV.

3. Friends. The original show about a group of young twenty-somethings. As I am a young twenty-something working on my career, single, and trying to make sense of life, this show hits close to home. I cannot get enough of Chandler's lame jokes (and laugh every time). I love Joey and Monica's struggles to make it in difficult careers and their determination not to give up. I love Phoebe's craziness, Ross's nerdiness, and Rachel's desire to make it on her own. The ups and downs of their love lives and the woes of finances make the show real. Over the 10-year course of this show, it is also great to see how the characters evolve, yet the friendships remain steady. I recently finished making my way through the show and will probably do so again in the future. 

4. Once Upon a Time. Combining my love of fairy tales, class literature, and modern fantasy, this show has it all. I love the different take on each of the stories (for example, Rumplestiltskin is "the beast"?? Brilliant. And, Hook is complex and good? Love it.) I also like the way the different stories overlap and build on each other. My only complaint is that the creators of Lost also made this show, which means it is completely unpredictable, and when the show becomes too big of a mess, they do something drastic and crazy (like erase the characters' memories). 

5. House. I liked this show while it was on the air, but didn't watch it religiously. I have recently gotten back into watching this show on Netflix, and remember how much I like House. I don't really like medical shows because I have a weak stomach, but I just love the complexities of House's character. His arrogance and brilliance mixed with wanting to be a hermit but having a strong connection to the people he lets in. It intrigues me. 

6. Chasing Life. I realize this show is new, but it has already captured my heart. I cry weekly. Again, it is about a young twenty-something and addresses the many concerns of real life, making your career, finances, creating distance from your parents, and dating. All while this poor girl finds out she has cancer - yikes! Her life is crazy, but the show is so real. I like that it is a little funny, a little emotional, a little dramatic, and isn't afraid to deal with real issues. For example, chemotherapy can affect fertility so the girl is dealing with that issue head on. Good for you ABC Family! If I were in her shoes, I would do the same thing. 

7. Boy Meets World. The quintessential show about life and growing up. This was the show I hated missing as I was growing up. The lessons learned by Mr. Feeney are incredible. The love between Cory and Topanga is inspiring. The friendships made cannot be replaced. I love that Shawn is always on the verge of going in the wrong direction but his friendship with the "good-boy" Cory keeps him on track. I have been watching Girl Meets World, which is cute, but can't match the original. :) 

8. Gossip Girl. Everybody needs a guilty pleasure and this is mine. Typically, I like comedies over dramas. In my opinion, real life has enough drama and when I am trying to relax, I just want to laugh. However, I watched this show all the way through and just ate up the drama and craziness. This show is basically the antithesis to my own life. I'm not rich. I'm not into brands and labels and parties and looks, but that's what makes the show fun for me. I cannot imagine the life of these rich kids and the "troubles" they face, so I can enjoy what I'm watching. The plot twists were really engaging and kept me entertained from the beginning. Although, I will say that I always knew who "Gossip Girl" really was. Easy call to make. 

9. The Following. This show is another surprise that I cannot get enough of. In the beginning, this shows strong ties to Edgar Allan Poe and psychopaths was enough to get me hooked. I love stories with psychopaths because it fascinates me (if I weren't a literacy expert, I would have been a therapist). Again, the complexities of the characters intrigue me, and the twists in the plot keep my heart racing. The show is a bit too gory for me, and I constantly have to look away. I yell at the TV and scream, but I look forward to this show every night.

10. Dancing with the Stars. As a rule, I don't like reality TV. It drives me crazy! However, I find this show really fun and enjoyable. Like, I actually want to dance and sing along and care what these judges say. The show has done a great job of getting a mix of celebrities I actually like or care about, and the professional dancers are really fun. I like the costumes, the dance, the live performances (minus Iggy Azalea from last season), and the themes each week. Overall, this show does a great job entertaining me and making me look forward to each week. 

Wow! That actually is a lot of TV and most of these shows are not currently on air - what does that say about my taste? 

Happy summer TV watching!  

No comments:

Post a Comment