Thursday, December 23, 2010

2011, you've got big shoes to fill

A year ago, I was optimistic about what the year 2010 would bring. The truth of what it brought is more than I could ever have imagined. So, let's take a look back at the year of "firsts" (first job, first home, first puppy)...

In January, I began teaching high school English and my master's degree simultaneously. I was blessed to have the opportunity to work with such an incredible teacher and mentor while at the high school. I also gained mentors and colleagues through my master's. Late January brought a snow storm and an enjoyable day with friends in my favorite weather that Texas does not see nearly often enough.

February brought buying my first home! :)

March gave me the little blessing I call "Jack"...my first puppy! I also had my tonsils removed and have yet to get sick since...hallelujah!

April came the end of my teaching the freshman at the high school but gave me the opportunity to take over in a senior English class (by far my favorite grade to teach so far). On the 1st, I officially closed on my home and moved in. Almost a year later, I am still working to make it "my home" but it's getting there.

May saw an end to my first semester teaching but brought with it a full time job offer teaching 7th grade ELA, which I accepted.

I spent the summer taking classes, working on my house, training my puppy and spending as much time as possible with my friends and family. It was a blast and I will always remember it as a relaxing time before "the real world" took over.

August was the beginning of me turning into an "adult". I began working full time in mid-August, started teaching "for real" and turned a year older. My life changed drastically as I said goodbye to sleeping in and staying up late. My alarm began chiming at 5 every morning and I was in bed sound asleep by 11 each night. However, I loved and embraced the change with open arms.

September and October were a whirlwind of emotions and events as I struggled to get my bearings in my classroom while juggling the demands of my master's degree, puppy, friends and family. There were many, many lows and some ups that kept me on my toes. In between all of the demands of life, I tried to still have fun and maintain my sanity. I won't say I completely succeeded, but I'm still alive now. :)

November started to see changes in 2010. Work became much more manageable, school became less stressful and I actually started having more fun. I started letting myself go out and hang out more with friends. Along the way some new friendships formed and developed into more.

December has been one of the best months I've had in a long time. I've started a new relationship with a boy and it's been great so far. ;) I learned from my students that they actually learned something during the semester which is the greatest blessing I could ask for this year. In addition, I survived another semester in graduate school and am 5 months away from graduating with my master's. My relationships with my friends and family have strengthened and I feel so happy all the time.

Needless to say, I have high hopes for 2011 and hope it can be half as wonderful as 2010. :)

-Tracey

1 comment:

  1. Tracey,

    I absolutely love reading your little blog and, therefore, being able to keep up with your life. This has been quite the year for you! I know 2011 will only bring you even more incredible people and experiences. Know that although we may be apart, I love you dearly and truly. I'm so happy for you, friend. :)

    Love,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete