Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Best Compliment I Have Ever Received :)

Thursday, in my 7th grade Language Arts class, my students were creating plot diagrams over a novel we had just finished reading. We had previously discussed the elements of a plot diagram and had used a short story we read as practice, then I set them off on their own. As I was walking around monitoring their work, I came upon two young gentlemen who were talking more than they were working (typical for these two boys). I calmly approached them, "Boys, can you focus on your plot diagrams, please?" I asked in my sweet-natured, teaching voice. I immediately get a response.

"But, Ms. Hodges, we are talking about a book!" one of the boys replied.

"Well, I think that is wonderful but is the book the one you are supposed to be completing a plot diagram over?" I replied, already knowing the answer.

"No." was the simple answer.

Now, usually at this point, the student will look down at his/her assignment and get back to work as I walk away and continue monitoring the other students. However, that is not what took place on this particular day.

"Ms. Hodges?" the boy continued. "Have you ever seen the movie 'Freedom Writer'?" he asked.

I replied that I had seen it and really liked it. He then asked me about the book it was based on, so I told him a little bit about the book and how it chronicles the lives of some students living in extreme situations. They are able to overcome their tough lives through the inspiration of writing brought to them by their teacher. The student seemed really interested, even asking me if we could read the book in class. (I had to tell him that the language and content was a little inappropriate for school, but that we might be able to read some chapters that were less controversial.) He said he had watched the movie because of an after-school ministry program. His mentor had told him that the movie showed how people could change even when they felt hopeless. I could see in his eyes that he felt a connection to the stories of these students and saw parallels to his own life. I felt proud of him for being able to see the connections. (I know he has been trying to make changes in his life as well.)

Then, he said something that will stay with me forever. In my short stint as a teacher, this is the second most significant success I have felt. (The first being the success written about in the blog about John.)

"Ms. Hodges, you remind me of her. You are always so nice and pleasant (yes, he said pleasant) to us and you really seem to care about our lives," he calmly said to me.

All I could say was "thank you" as I thought, "Wow, comparing me to Erin Gruwell. I'm not sure I deserve that." I smiled for the rest of the day as I told myself that this was God's way of telling me that I am, in fact, in the right place and I am doing something right.

-Tracey

1 comment: