Sunday, April 10, 2011

Reconnecting with one of my first loves...

When I was a little girl (around 4, I think), I discovered love. Love that could brighten my day no matter what. Love that was solid and unwavering. Love that made me believe I could do anything or be anyone I wanted. This love was reading.

Once I learned how to read, I couldn't stop. It was not uncommon for me to cry and throw a tantrum if my family would not take me to the library to get new books. I had a library card at such a young age, I couldn't even sign my own name. I would check out the maximum number of books at a time and went often. My mom put me in book clubs during the summers and ordered me books all the time. I went through phases of loving certain series, authors or genres (just as I do today). I would read everything I could get my hands on. I knew this was love.

As I grew older, this love did not change even as I became interested in sports, boys, working, etc. All the way through high school, I was an avid reader. In college, I was an English major so many of my classes forced me to read novels in addition to textbooks. I loved it. Then, when I graduated and entered the work force, something changed.

All at once, I was thrown into working more than I ever had in my life and going to school full-time at night. I had no spare time to read. I would try to read before I went to bed each night, just as I had done for years before, but I couldn't stay awake long enough to do so. My mom and friends who are also avid readers would try to talk to me about books, but I wouldn't be able to join the conversation because I hadn't read a book in months. The longest I had ever gone without enjoying what the black and white pages could offer.

It seemed strange to me that this could happen, especially since my love for reading paved the road to where I am now. I am an English teacher because of this love. (Seriously, a career where I get to read and write everyday and share that with others? Done.) It is also the soul source of my PhD studies in reading education. As I got older, I realized that (gasp!) there are people who do not like to read! And worse, many people who don't know how to read (this can't be!). So, I decided it would be my life's work to share a love for reading and writing with everyone I could, and to help those who are struggling. Hence, where I am today: a PhD student studying reading and writing education and a secondary English teacher.

Now, how could I really let this love be pushed aside by work, school, friends, family, Jack (the puppy), dating, life, etc. This had to stop. So, over Spring Break, I began reading a novel for fun again. Gosh, I enjoyed it. To get to be someone else for a short period of time. To get to go on wild adventures. To get to experience a life so unlike my own. It was mesmerizing. In the past two weeks, I have read 3 new novels and today I am starting my 4th. Do I really have time for this? Short answer, no. However, I love it too much to not do it. So, I will stay awake a few extra hours each night because I have to discover more and find out what happens next. I'll wake up just a little earlier, reach over to my bedside table and pick up where I left off the night before. It is pure joy and love, and it's worth it.

-Tracey

Recent Reads:
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin
Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond - The Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment