Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Way Back Wednesday!

Despite the somewhat misleading title, my posting today will not really be from "way back" - just a year ago.  One year ago this month, I made the most difficult decision I have made in my short life: I decided to leave my classroom and return to the university full time to pursue my dream of a Ph.D.  I had already completed my first year of working on the Ph.D., but as any doc student can attest, courses are the least of a graduate student's concerns.  I knew that to fully appreciate the hardships and benefits of getting this degree, I would have to live my students.

For some reason, today, I have been overwhelmed with nostalgia for my "babies".  When I finalized this decision, I was not happy about it.  Today, I am still not happy about it.  The feeling could be better described as indifferent....but that doesn't quite capture the feeling either.  You see, I love graduate school.  I love the feeling of learning.  I love teaching my undergraduates.  I love research.  I love writing.  Sure, there are many things I don't like about it, too.  There are parts to any profession that are less than desirable.  And, certainly, as a teacher I didn't love my job every day.  However, for all the stress and hardship of working in a school,  I loved my kiddos every day.  They made everything worth it.  Not a day in the life of a teacher goes by without feeling completely overwhelmed and blessed by the love the teacher has for his/her students.  I was (and still am) no different.

This semester, I was given the wonderful opportunity to be an intervention teacher on a project.  I got to go to a school everyday and read with third-graders.  While I only worked personally with two sweet children, I quickly became enamored with the entire classrooms I visited.  My heart soared when I entered the building and was completely full every day I left.  I miss that feeling.

I have been teaching since I was nineteen years old.  I got my first job as a substitute teacher that year, and for the duration of my undergraduate degree, I worked as a substitute, tutor, and private instructor for many different companies and individuals around the town I lived.  Through some of the hardest times in my life, teaching and seeing my students got me through.  No matter how badly I felt or what was going on, my attention would be completely focused on my students and they would brighten my day.

As I begin my second full year away from my students, I once again feel the conflicting emotions of that decision.  While I know I am doing well teaching my undergraduates and still know I love teaching, it really isn't the same.  I never thought I would grow up to be a teacher.  I certainly didn't expect to become a teacher who so fully loved her profession.  It's true that they say teaching is a calling.  It's definitely mine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment