Sunday, March 21, 2010

"Thy drugs are quick"...and I'm a bit out of it

Well, after having my tonsils removed, I now know three things about myself:
1) I have no tolerance for anestthesia
2) I know Romeo and Juliet well
3) I teach high school English

Ok, so I really knew these things before the surgery, but they were validated on the operating table. Why, you ask. It's simple.

I was wheeled into the operating room and placed on the operating table, still completely alert and awake. The nurses began plugging me into a series of machines while telling me what was about to happen. They were trying to nonchalantly chat with me (I suppose to take my mind off the fact that I was about to be a dissection project). Anyway, the anesthesist comes in and begins putting the "good drugs" in my IV. At the same time, the nurse puts a mask on me that is pumping "happy gas" (apparently tonsilectomies are not meant for people over the age of five). As all of these drugs are entering my body, the nurse and doctor continue chatting with me. Finally, the anesthesist asks me how I am feeling. Without skipping a beat, I reply "thy drugs are quick," and the next thing I know I'm begin awakened in the recovery room.

I have no idea what the medical professionals in the operating room said to that but I would imagine it was something like my family's reaction when I told them what had happened: laughter, mockery and a story that will never be forgotten.

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment