Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Is it me or the real world?

Lately, I've found that many of my interests have changed and I'm wondering, is it me or is it the real world that has been creating all of this change? I guess to fully answer that question, I have to consider the things about me that have changed.

1. I cook. Not only do I cook, I kind of like it and think about experimenting with it.
This is strange because I have never been one of those people who enjoys creating a meal. I only like eating. However, I have been trying to cook more to save money and eat healthier. I have found that I don't only like cooking, but I like thinking about cooking and figuring out new ways to cook something. I like experimenting with cooking techniques and adding seasonings. And, I must say, I'm not half bad, either.

2. I'm becoming somewhat crafty.
Just like I've never been one to cook, I've never been one to make things. I'd rather buy it already done. I don't have the patience to make pretty things nor do I enjoy the process and it NEVER looks half as good as what I can buy. Well, this changed since I've been decorating my classroom. I've become crafty making posters, banners, bulletin boards and other things to teach my kiddos with. My mom made some photo boards for me by covering bulletin boards with fabric. That gave me the idea to cover my bulletin boards in my bedroom to make them look nicer. Cheap and way cuter than what was already there. I've been thinking I might want to make some cute pillows with the left-over fabric (because I love the fabric so much) but that will require learning to sew...and I'm actually considering doing it. In addition to making cute crafty things, I want to refinish my kitchen table and chairs when I find the time. I don't like the color of the table and chairs but love the style and how sturdy they are. Again, cheaper than buying new furniture and it gets to be exactly the way I want it. I also want to look into making some new bedroom furniture for my room, including a bed and bookshelf. We'll see what happens. :)

3. I want to plant flowers and pretty things in pots for my back porch.
Once again, I've never been interested in gardening, but I find myself wanting to plant things in pots and containers on my back porch to liven it up and make it look pretty. I don't know much about gardening so right now I'm researching what will look good and grow well in containers in the heat. And, what grows well with relatively little care (because I have a feeling I'll forget to water from time-to-time). I also need things that are cheap.

4. I only buy things on sale.
I used to not care so much if something was on sale or not. If I wanted it, I bought it. Now, I look at price first and no matter how much I want it, if the price isn't right, it's a no go. I like sales, and clearances are even better. I also make lists of things I want to buy when I get paid. I doubt I'll buy most of the things on those lists.

5. Finally, as is obvious by now, I'm very aware of money.
I want things that are cheap or on sale. If I can make it for cheap, even better. I'm constantly thinking about money and live by a strict budget. I've actually turned down doing things with friends (dinner or ice cream) to save money.

 I still love to read, watch movies and play Wii. I still like going out and doing things with my friends. And, I still love doing anything with Jack or my family. Teaching and being a student still consume a great amount of my time. Ok, so the question is, are all of these changes brought about by the real world or me becoming an adult? The verdict is still out.

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment