Monday, May 9, 2011

Reflections of Years Gone By...

Wow! That is all I can really say about the past 5 years of my life and the upcoming 5. I feel so blessed, it is unimaginable. Five years ago this month, I was but a headstrong, determined 18-year-old who was graduating from high school. A year and a five months ago, I was a headstrong, determined 22-year-old who was graduating from college. In just 5 days, I will be a headstrong, determined 23-year-old who will be graduating with her master's degree. Finally, in three months, I will be a headstrong, determined 24-year-old beginning a PhD. Wow! I cannot believe how my education has progressed and at such a rapid pace. Yes, I had something to do with that, but today, I am thankful that I was given that opportunity. I thank God that I was given the gifts necessary to achieve my goals and that I was given every resource imaginable to make me successful. I could not have done it without Him, the help of supportive family, friends and mentors and the God-given determination and headstrong-ness I mentioned above.

Now, onto the next five years. I always knew I wanted to get a PhD (yes, as a child, I wanted to go to school forever...I obviously was not normal). When I got to college, I realized that education was, in fact, my true passion despite my abilities to fight it during high school. I quickly discovered that I would be getting my PhD in education someday so that I could become a researcher, professor, advocate and politician. However, I had never truly thought BEYOND getting my PhD...what exactly would I do? Lately, I have really been thinking about this, and I have some answers. I want to do research in education pertaining to writing at the secondary level, integration of technology and spelling/phonics instruction at the secondary level. Additionally, I want to research dyslexia and autism in regards to reading education. Those are my research interests and what I hope to be able to teach in my classes. Someday in the extremely distant future, I want to be a politician so that I can TRULY reform education for the better. Before I get there though, I also want to work as a methodologist. Yes, I want to spend my days analyzing data and conveying it's meaning to others. Most of my PhD will consist of statistics courses and methods classes, so I feel I will be well-prepared for that.

I am so completely excited for what the past five years have taught me and what the next five years will bring into my life. August will be an epic month as I begin the newest and most exciting journey of my young life. :)

Join me for this crazy ride!
-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment