Saturday, February 11, 2012

I wasn't expecting...

to be hit with so many emotions today or to feel so much of God in my life. Let me begin with highlighting my awesome Friday night. Now, I am a 24-year-old, but definitely not the typical kind...most 24-year-olds are out on dates, dancing the night away with friends, having a few drinks, etc, etc on Friday nights. This girl, not so much. Last night, I got home and after a very long week at work, was EXHAUSTED! (Seems to be my buzz-word lately!) I decided to relax with a pizza and movie. I ate some pizza, yes. However, I put on the movie and made it about an hour in..and fell asleep on the couch. A few hours later, I woke up and dragged myself and Jack to bed where I slept amazingly until about 4 this morning. Dang it! I checked emails and responded to a few texts then went back to sleep until about 7, when I decided to wake up. Here is where my emotions of the day began...

1. One of my emails this morning was a swift kick in the butt from an amazing friend/colleague to get moving on some grad school projects. I have three projects that are about to be set in motion, all wonderful opportunities. It may be rough doing them all, but in the end, it will be worth it. Somehow this email lit a fire under me. I spent the first 4 hours of my day at my favorite coffee shop reading for one of my classes and thinking about these projects. Then, I went home, did some more studying and read a novel for my other class. I finally got back into my school mindset. I feel like I've lost that mindset since I devoted all of my spare energy, brain-power and time to teaching...feels great to feel like myself again. Let's face it, I'm meant to be a student right now. It makes me feel complete.

2. I felt a tug at my heart as I realized that one of my dearest and truest friends is officially leaving me! I could not be happier for her, her upcoming marriage, transferring to a new school that is more aligned to her goals, chasing her dreams, everything...BUT I'm also selfish in that I want her to stay here with me. She and her fiance packed up her things and headed out to their new home in Arizona today. I will miss the Wednesday night girls' nights, movie dates, 3 and 4-hour long lunch dates, pedicures, shopping, trips to Houston, eating sweets, laughing...basically all of the K&T time. I felt sad knowing she is leaving, but happy at the same time. It reminds me that growing up is hard.

3. I have often expressed my dissatisfaction with being "stuck" where I am. I am here for a reason and that is to finish school. While I couldn't be happier about this, sometimes I feel like everyone else is passing me by. It seems like everyone else is graduating, getting married, moving forward...and I am STILL working on my last degree. I know this is all in my head, but it takes it's toll. College Station is a nice, little town to live in but certainly not where I want to be long-term. I get bored here quite often. However, today, I was reminded of why I do enjoy living here, why I consider it my hometown (where I've really grown-up) and finally, the perfect place to be finishing my degree. After working hard at the coffee shop for hours, I decided to run by the grocery store to pick up some food for the week. My bag was full of textbooks, my computer, notebooks, etc. and I didn't want to carry it around HEB so I just took in my wallet. As I walked around the store, I set my wallet on the top of the shopping cart. I finished my shopping, paid for my groceries and took everything out to my car. I loaded up, placed the cart in the "buggy return" and drove home. After I unpacked my groceries, ate lunch, watched a movie, took Jack for a walk, I decided to read more for class. I went to my bag to unpack my books and realized something was missing...you guessed it, my wallet! I promptly called HEB to find that, yes, they had my wallet! I rushed back to HEB to find that my wallet was completely intact, credit cards, money and all! Wow! It's nice to live somewhere where I can be a completely spaced-out grad student and still be safe! This could have ended very badly. Thank God for College Station and it's good-hearted people!

All in all, I've had a wonderfully productive day that gave me a glimpse of what it will be like next year to be a full-time student completely devoted to my studies. Early mornings full of reading and collaborating, afternoons of more reading, eating and my favorite, movies and evenings of reflection and writing...in a town that can handle the fact that I'm slowly losing my sanity. :)

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment