Friday, February 24, 2012

Role Model

God is amazing because He isn't too busy for the small stuff.

1. Last night, I was tired. I didn't want to do anything...BUT a friend of mine talked me into running a 5K with her tonight. So, to "warm up" for that, I decided I needed to do something. I walked on my treadmill for about 30 minutes then decided that was good enough. I got some water and as I stood in my kitchen, got a suddenly strong desire to go outside and run. The walk didn't quench this feeling; my body wanted more. It was a beautiful day and beautiful night. So, I went outside with my Ipod blaring one of my favorite songs and I started running. It felt uncharacteristically good. No shin splint pain. So, I decided to try running faster and quickened my pace. This felt even better. I kept up the faster pace for a solid mile before I let up a little. I stopped and started walking. As I did this, I realized that I still had a desire to run...so, I ran sprint/walk intervals for another mile. This felt amazing...and quenched this running fever.

This morning, my abs hurt, my butt hurts, my legs are tight but I feel great! Ready for the 5K!! :)

2. Earlier this week, I was working in my favorite coffee shop on my "take home statistics exam". I was feeling a little guilty that I was working on grad school work and not planning lessons or grading or doing something else for work. As I was feeling guilty, one of my favorite ladies entered the shop: my grad mentor! I hadn't seen her in several months (as she's been on maternity leave) and the last time she saw me face-to-face, I was in a very bad position (literally having a panic attack about work). Seeing her, talking to her about her life and mine reinforced that I am doing what I am supposed to do and my guilt faded away.

3. Real talk for a minute: being a grown up is tough. Managing finances is tough. Supporting my expensive dream of earning a PhD on a teacher's salary is tough. Having to replace my washer/dryer unexpectedly on a budget is tough. That being said, I'm running low on cash this month and I'm too proud to ask anybody for money. I've been doing some work as a private tutor/editor for several clients to make extra money and establish a client base for next year. One of my clients said she was going to mail me a check this week for the papers I've helped her with already. I had shared with her my starting rates and had kept track of how much she owed me. I had a figure in my head. I got the check this morning and it was WAY more than I expected! Immediately, I called to inquire as to the amount and demand she let me send most of it back. Her response was that she really appreciated my help and that I was doing her a great service by taking the time to help her...and that I needed to keep the money. Thanks to this act of generosity, I am no longer in financial need and don't have to dive into my savings. :)

God is great and has blessed me with knowing so many wonderful individuals who encourage and support me, whether that is with getting my butt in shape, working on achieving my dreams or doing what I love most, teaching and editing. I'm a lucky girl and love a great and powerful God that is never too busy for my somewhat insignificant needs.

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment