Sunday, April 21, 2013

Softly Call the Muster...

Being an Aggie is one of the best decisions I ever made.  Growing up, I knew I would attend one of the two universities I had heard so much about - Texas A&M or University of Texas.  Which would it be?  I applied to both, and received my UT letter first.  At the time I didn't know which school I wanted to attend, but when I got my UT letter with the stamp "accepted", I was disappointed.  That told me something.  About three weeks later (around late-October, early-November...I can't really remember but I do remember telling everyone at a football game), I got my letter to A&M.  I was over-the-moon excited.  While I don't remember all the details, I remember the feeling.

Being a First-Generation Aggie, I had no idea what to expect of this school.  I remember learning about traditions at Fish Camp, getting lost around campus, and meeting so many new people.  Maybe my love for Aggieland is the reason I have decided to turn getting a degree into a 10-year and 3-degree process. ;)  Aggieland introduced me to my dreams, showed me my passion for serving others, gave me my best friends, and sent me off into the world with a host of endlessly good memories.  Despite everything Aggieland has given me, the greatest experience I have had at A&M is Muster.  I cannot think of a more appropriate ending to such a tragic week in American history.  Today is a day I think all of America should take a page out of the Aggie Handbook.

The idea behind Muster is that you are honored at the time of your passing.  When a former student passes away, s/he is remembered at Muster as friends and family answer "Here" on the roll call when that person's name is read.  Today, I will answer "Here" for those who have left us this week from Boston and West.  While this week has reminded me that there is evil in this world, it has also inspired me by showing the graciousness and hope of humanity.  As a friend's Tweet so perfectly put it, "Days like these showcase a few psychos and countless heroes".

For all of those who have been sent home to our Father this week and this year, I answer "Here".

No comments:

Post a Comment