Friday, December 26, 2014

Best Books of 2014: #10, #9, & #8

I love books! I knew this upcoming year would be my busiest year yet (comprehensive exams, dissertation proposal defense, writing the dissertation, searching for a job). I also realized that I would have to be more deliberate in my reading endeavors. Reading keeps me sane and is one of my greatest joys in life so I wanted to make sure I did not lose sight of this. I know that if I give myself time to read, I will be more happy and productive in other parts of my life.

This year, I ventured out of my comfort zone a bit and challenged myself to read more nonfiction. I read a LOT of nonfiction books this year...however, what I always thought to be true is still true: nonfiction is just not my genre. I didn't dislike most of the books, they were fine. They just did not capture my attention and keep me interested. In almost all of the nonfiction books I read this year, I would start off optimistic and lose interest less than half-way through. I finished most of them, though it was a struggle.

In 2013, I made my "Best Books of 2013" list in approximately 3 minutes. It was the easiest list I ever made. This year, I had to review my Goodreads account to see what I actually read (though a few books came to mind instantly). I think the craziness of this year made me forget how much I loved some of these books...and I forgot that I read them in 2014 (wow, this year was long!). But, I've made my list and I am so happy with it! Here are the first (or last) 3 books on my Best Books of 2014 list....

Best Books of 2014 - #10, #9, & #8

10. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
I love popular fiction and young adult fiction, so I really wanted to explore classics more. There is a reason these are books that stand the test of time and are relatable to generations of readers. This book made me fall in love with Oscar Wilde! He has so many enlightening quotes and phrases that made me stop and savor. I appreciated the fantastical elements of the story, the hints of sexual impropriety, and the focus on moral corruption. I idea that humanity can be so cruel when it believes it's actions have no consequences is one that has plagued society since the earliest of times. I related to so many characters in this novel, and at the end, I felt both pity and sadness for the tragedies many characters faced. I can also see why Wilde caused such a stir when this novel was first published. It hits too close to home for many...the portrait shows us what we are capable of if we hide our insecurities. What a powerful message.


9. The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm
I consider myself a scientist. I study literature, reading, writing, and education to help improve the ways we teach our students. For that reason, this book was especially interesting to me. Many of my colleagues who study children's literature buzzed about this book for months. Finally, I gave in and over Thanksgiving, read this book in one day. The lexical level is brief, simple, and engaging. However, the complexity of the story and philosophical issues presented are heavy. This story nicely integrates science education into the story. I learned more about famous scientists and how their discoveries influenced humanity than I have learned in any science class. One of the greatest gems of this book, however, is that science is presented from multiple perspectives. For example, the atomic bomb is used as an example of how far science has come and how science can be devastating. Both perspectives show that issues related to discovery, industrialization, and progress can be both good and bad. This book would be excellent for students to gain this much needed perspective on science. In the end, this is the story of how science always comes with a price and poses the question: are we willing to pay it? 


8. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Again, this novel was buzzed about and recommended to me by children's literature professors. :) I devoured this book in an evening because I had to know the ending. At it's heart, this book shows the complexities of adolescent relationships: those with parents, those with extended family, those with friends, and those with lovers. At a deeper level the book addresses issues related to mental health in children. It illuminates the inability of adults to recognize what children need and how children's brains can be advanced enough to show signs and symptoms of mental illness...particularly in the face of tragedy. There is a twist, which I was able to figure out before the end. However, knowing this twist made me appreciate the novel more. I believe this book presents perspectives about how much young adults face and what they go through when adults are not looking closely. 


Coming soon...#7 through #1...




No comments:

Post a Comment