Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I'm Back!!

I'm back! And, I apologize for the prolonged absence.

I knew this fall semester would be my busiest semester yet (even considering I completed my comprehensive exams and dissertation proposal in the Spring), but even I underestimated just how busy it would be.

So the question is: what have I been up to the past 4 months??

1. Finishing my Ph.D. This has included many tasks...first and foremost was collecting my data for analysis. This ran from September 1st through November 21st. My research team and I administered surveys to over 555 pre-service teachers, conducted 57 in-class observations, and conducted interviews with teacher educators. I completed most of these tasks, putting in endless hours. The result is that I finished data collection just before Thanksgiving. Currently, I am busy writing away to get my dissertation completed. We've set the defense date, so I have a hard and quickly approaching deadline, but I am confident in my ability to write like a mad woman for the next few months.

2. Working...a lot! I taught the same course this semester that I have been teaching for the past year. I love it! However, as the most experienced instructor of this course, I also took on the responsibility of course coordinator. We had a few administrative updates to the course, so I took the lead on this. It was fun and a great experience! I also took on two extra jobs this semester. I worked as one of the graduate assistants for a writing program at my university. This program has revolutionized how I write and approach publications, presentations, and graduate school work. I owe so much of my success to the principles I learned in this program, so it is fun to give back. And, I get to work with some of the professional women I admire most! Finally, I was given the opportunity to be a research assistant on a major grant. The focus of the research perfectly aligns with my own research and again, I get to work with some really wonderful academics. I've definitely been working over board, but it's hard to say no to so many inspiring experiences!

3. Conferencing like a beast. When I first began graduate school, I was told I would have to present research at conferences. My first few years, I participated in a lot of research and sent it off to conferences. I received far more rejections than acceptances. This gave me the impression that I needed to submit more and more research. When using peer-review as the standard, much of your acceptance is luck. Hard work pays off, but there is that element of the right person read your work at the right time. Using this mentality, my colleagues and I over shot every conference. We submitted many things to many conferences. To our dismay (and excitement), we were accepted to almost every conference...with multiple presentations! Yikes! This made for trips to Delray Beach, FL; Washington, D.C.; and Marco Island, FL this semester alone! :) Fun...but overwhelming.

4. Searching for a job! Many people believe the culminating activity for a Ph.D. is the dissertation defense or graduation. While these are very important aspects (and two of my personal favorites), the real end goal is a J-O-B. Making things more complex, getting a job as an academic is unlike jobs in most fields. It takes about a year from start to finish. Anticipating my start date as August/September of next year, I began over the summer sending out applications. This requires writing for each school: (1) a detailed cover letter; (2) a curriculum vitae (basically a detailed resume); (3) reference letters; (4) transcripts; (5) 3-5 samples of scholarly writing; (6) a research agenda; and (7) a teaching philosophy. A few schools have asked for extra things, but all have asked for some combination of the items listed above. Right now, we are still very early in the game as most school begin campus interviews in January. However, all looks promising!

5. Staying connected with the people I love. My two best friends are having babies - yay! This has meant more time texting, calling, and attending baby parties (not to mention countless hours looking at baby stuff online). One of my oldest childhood friends recently moved to town and it has been great fun reconnecting with her over dinners, shopping, and painting. The girls' I've met through graduate school have finally decided we deserve monthly wine nights to unwind and gossip. We have really enjoyed these and grown to know each other more. Finally, I've been able to get to know my book club ladies more through our monthly hang-outs and shared love of literature.

I'll be giving more details about my travels and fun soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment