Monday, December 29, 2014

Best Books of 2014 #4, #3, & #2

It always gets harder to keep the posts short as I near the top of my list. 

Here are my fourth, third, and second favorite books of 2014!

I chose to read this book for three reason: (1) it was a YA; (2) it won some kind of award (though I don't remember what); and (3) what a title! Just from the title, I knew this would be an interesting read. Combining a philosopher with one of the greatest authors of the past...and of course, they would know the secrets of the universe. I did not read any reviews on this book or the author prior to reading it. I chose this book on a whim and devoured it within 72-hours. I read most of it on a flight to Florida and it was one of those books where I became so entrenched in the story, I basically forgot life was happening around me. 

As I have researched reading practices and studied different cultures, I have become more open-minded about things. I would certainly say that this book is not for everyone, but everyone should read it. Saenz combines issues of multiculturalism (true cultural differences, not just race), GLBT discussions, and coming-of-age into one beautiful story. This is the story of two Mexican-American boys living in El Paso, TX and their growing friendship. All of the elements of YA that I love are present, including some realistic though far-fetched events. I have been telling everyone I meet in academic circles about this one. Multiple perspectives are present that give the reader deeper insights into the struggles of being a teenager today. Of all the books I have read this year, this one has gotten more discussion from me than almost any other. 


3. Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Wonder is another YA that hit the bookshelves a few years ago with a bang! I have heard so many academics, students, and friends talking about this book. Of course, that meant I had to see what all the talk was about. I realize in reviewing these books, that 2014 was my year of reading without reservations. Again, I knew nothing about R. J. Palacio or the novel when I picked it up. I read this one on a flight to Baltimore and it was everything in me not to burst into tears in front of everyone at several points. This book cuts deep. 

This is the story of Auggie, a boy who won't describe what he looks like because "whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse". What?!?! I was so angry at this line because I like descriptions, details, and knowing what characters look like. Auggie has been home-schooled his entire life due to his facial deformities and many, many surgeries, but his parents decide to send him to school, for the first time ever, for middle school. This sounds like a recipe for disaster as anyone who has previously been in middle school (or taught it) can testify. It is coming-of-age, which I love. What made this novel different, though, is that chapters are told from different perspectives. The reader gets to see the world through Auggie's eyes, but also his sister's, his sister's boyfriend, his friends, his enemies, his family. It's beautiful. I cannot imagine a person who cannot relate to someone. It also shows how one person can affect so many people in both positive and negative ways. It shows how each person has come to handle and accept Auggie's unique circumstances. I cannot wait to read more from R. J. Palacio, who will be on my ever-growing favorite authors list! 


2. Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
What a debut novel by this author! Honestly, I cannot wait until she writes another as I will be purchasing it on day one! My book club chose this book, and I probably would never have read it myself. I don't think I can do this novel justice. This is the story of a young girl who learns some harsh secrets about the world. She has a wonderful relationship with her uncle, who she loves dearly. When he becomes ill and dies, she learns that she only knew a tiny portion of his life. Revelations surface and she learns that he died of AIDS. Taking place in 1987, AIDS was still very taboo and people did not know much about it. She also discovers that her uncle lived most of his life with his long-time partner, but that her family kept him from her. The two meet and bond over the loss of their loved one. 

Like some of the other novels I loved this year, this one does not shy away from topics that are uncomfortable and shares them in a very human way. Rarely have I felt more than I have while reading this book. It was beautifully told and captivated me from the first page to the final one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment