Saturday, December 27, 2014

Best Books of 2014 - #7, #6, & #5

Let's continue the countdown of great reads...

Best Books of 2014 - #7, #6, & #5

7. Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
I have always loved books that make me feel and this one delivers! This novel is the heartbreaking story of a young girl and her rocky path to adulthood. As an older woman, the story is told in flashbacks as the woman mentors another young girl living in foster care. The story has many layers and all the characters continue to develop as the story deepens. While the story is not happy, the ending is perfect. 


6. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
I put off reading this book for a long time. I'm not one to avoid hype, but typically I do not just jump into everything I hear about either. For some reason, the hype around this book just really turned me off of it. I had no desire to read it - at all! In fact, I honestly cannot remember what made me decide to read it...finally. I think my bestie read it and said I should do it. Either way, I am so glad I finally caved. This book was wonderful! So wonderful that I read about 50 pages the first night...and stayed up far too late finishing it the following night. I loved it. I thought this would be a cheesy chic book. Now, I love a good lush chic read every now and then, but I have to be in the right mood. Fortunately, this book is filled with substance and thought-provoking questions. It addresses some very sensitive subjects in a very human way. I laughed. I loved. I cried my eyes out. In the end, this book deserves its place among the best reads of 2014. And, I cannot wait to read more from Jojo Moyes - she has made my author radar!

5. Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Wow. That is all I can say about this one. The story, on the surface, is about a young girl who is brilliant (genius level, definitely on the autism spectrum). Its a coming of age book that is among the saddest novels I have ever read, and that gets you through chapter one. Seriously. I began this book and was hooked, but could not believe it started so sadly. And within a few pages, I was touched and deeply connected with the main character. This book really explores the way one person can affect so many people around her. Its beautiful, inspiring, and shows how we are all connected.

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment