Thursday, August 18, 2011

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Yes, I know this is an over-used phrase. Yes, I know it seems cliche. Yes, you are tired of hearing people use this phrase as motivation. However, it is the only phrase I could come up with that truly symbolizes how I currently feel.

When faced with blatant adversity, some people give up and run the other way. Some people stand their ground and fight with all their might. I am somewhere in the middle. I often stumble around a little bit and feel uneasy, then get back on my feet and quietly fight back.

I have three "bucket-list" items I would like to accomplish before I die. #1. Get a PhD. (in progress). #2 Have children. (I can't control this one). #3. Write a book that will make a difference. (beginning today).

My literary inspiration for years has been Harper Lee. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite novels. It is fun to read, hits on important societal issues and makes a statement. Harper Lee was not popular in her day for writing this novel and faced a great deal of backlash, controversy and anger. I admire her, though, because she saw a fundamental problem in society and sought to change peoples' mindsets about that issue.

When I was about 11-years-old, I saw a problem in society that I felt passionate about. As I grew older and even watched my older sister struggle against this problem, I became more passionate about it. When I got to high school and college, I almost gave up because I didn't believe I could make a difference. Now, I feel more strongly than ever about this issue.

Last night, I came home and read a research article that reaffirmed what I believe and eased my frustrations, temporarily. This morning, as I was getting ready for work, blow-drying my hair, the inspiration came to me. Inspiration for a novel. A unique novel that takes a unique look at something in society that, if changed, would have lasting repercussions. I have never been so excited to embark on a new experience or project. I know this will take some time, so don't get excited just yet.

For the first time, I get to use my literary talents combined with my deep-rooted passions to create something that just might make a difference. Here's to happy writing!

:) Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment