Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tough Workouts Mirror Life

Life is tough. Life is complicated. Life is a mess. However, we are created to sustain the hardships of life and fight when things don't go our way. Moreover, God never gives us more than we can handle. He gives us the people and skills we need to overcome any obstacle that comes our way. In this way, life mirrors tough workouts perfectly. What do I mean?

Lately, my brain has been going crazy thinking about tough issues in my life. It has been a while since something has caused this much stress on my brain. I am trying to be strong, but I am only human. I can always turn to my workouts to help me fight through any frustrations I am having. Workouts are like the tough battles in life. We have to fight through them just like we have to fight through a tough workout.

Today, I experiened a very tough workout. Not only that, but I'm going back again this afternoon and tomorrow morning. That's three workouts (all tough) in 24 hours. I know, I'm insane. However, with the turmoil that is happening in my brain, it is necessary that I take advantage of all of the releases I can. I digress...back to the tough workout. I made myself a low-ball goal because I was unfamiliar with the workout. I didn't know what I was actually capable of doing. In the end, I changed my goal. My trainer suggested a goal, but even I did not think I could do that. Instead, I decided to create another goal that was lower than the trainer's goal for me but higher than my initial goal. I just kept fighting throughout the workout thinking only of that workout. I achieved the goal my trainer had set for me, the highest goal of the three. I was pleased with myself.

During the workout, I thought, this is horrible. At times, I even thought, there is no way I can continue. This is exactly what is happening to me right now. I am moving at the speed-of-life and am happier than I have ever been in my life. This new situation that has appeared has slowed me down quite a bit and is consuming much of my extra brain capacity. I am turning to the things in life that I can rely on to help me through this. Here is what I can rely on and what I need right now: my family, my friends, Jack, my workouts, my running, my academics and reading for fun. With these key elements of my life, that I absolutely love, I can overcome this challenge.

I'm letting go and letting God control this one. He never fails and never brings me to a challenge I cannot overcome.

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment