Thursday, January 29, 2015

Book Review - The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


Now that The Hobbit movies are complete, I really wanted to re-read this one. J.R.R. Tolkien is one of my favorite authors, especially since my return from London where I learned that Tolkien was involved in a weekly writing group with non other than C.S. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia). They met up at a bar in Oxford and discussed their writings and gave each other feedback. :) Good writing practices and their work shows it! 

I read The Hobbit originally senior year of high school and just loved every bit of it. I enjoyed the details, the fantasy, the characters. In fact, I wanted to be a hobbit and go on grand adventures to Middle Earth. Re-reading it now, after seeing the movies, actually was quite disappointing. I'm not one to say that movies are better than the book, and I definitely still adore this book, but...well, I enjoyed the MANY additions the film-makers included. For example, the entire third movie (The Battle of Five Armies) is just several pages in the novel. 

This will always be one of my favorite classics, but I do want more from it. I wish J.R.R. Tolkien were around to add to his creation. Give more details! I'm planning to tackle Lord of the Rings this year, which I have never read and hope that I will find more of those details that I love so much. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment