Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Favorite Web Links (Week of January 14th)

I've found lots of good stuff this week! 

What If? Arne Duncan, current U.S. Secretary of Education posed the question, "What if every district committed both to identifying what made their 5 best schools successful & providing those opps to all their students?" on his Twitter page. This question is getting at the idea of value-added which is something policy makers feel would help schools (few topics make my blood boil like value-added). The response he got is probably not what he expected and is priceless beyond compare! Here, the Washington Post includes a few of the many comments he received. 


Teachers Were Never the Problem - to go along with the link above, I found this link from 2013 that still rings true today. Teachers are not the problem in education. In actuality, it is a much larger social issue but we can't talk about such things! This article looks at poverty and its role in the education disparity.


2014 Review - A pretty good summary of the year with so many hilarious asides. I was cracking up, but have to admit, I felt pretty gloomy and needed to hug my puppy afterward. Surprisingly, while the rest of the world seems to have had a bad year, 2014 was pretty productive for me!


Not the city you thought, where new grads are ending up! - As I am embarking on a big move this year (still don't know where to), I'm fascinated by any article mentioning hip cities to live. While the job is my primary choice for where to move, I'm also investigating the city life as well. I want to be somewhere fun, and somewhat trendy where I can enjoy myself while I work hard.


Daily Reading Plan for Shakespeare - My undergraduate major was English, and I have loved reading since I was a child, so naturally, I adore Shakespeare. In college, I got to take only one Shakespeare course and it was wonderful! Recently, I've seen so many plans for reading the Bible in a year, simply by reading a few sections of scripture each day. I've started about half a dozen of these, but lost motivation about a week in. This plan for getting through all of Shakespeare's works in a year follows the same idea. Read a little each day, a few sonnets on the weekends, and you're good! I might use this plan to modify for a more reasonable amount of time (maybe two or three years). Either way, it is so cool to see! And, I have the book it is based upon from my college Shakespeare course. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment