Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Favorite Web Links (Week of January 7th)

I find myself browsing the Internet quite a bit these days. When I first began surfing the Internet, I did so aimlessly. Now, I have a much more deliberate approach to "surfing". I read many blogs, the NY Times, watch music videos on YouTube, look up styles, and I find so many things now that spark good conversation. I get annoyed when people cannot discuss current events, pop culture, and daily occurrences in the world. 

Here are some of my favorite links from the past few weeks:

"Swiftmas" - I'm becoming a bigger fan of the teeny-bopper princess as I learn more about her social work. This might make you tear up a bit and puts the "random acts of kindness" trend on a new level. 


Blank Space/Style Mashup - the lyrics of each song are really impressive and this mashup with the male and female voices is beautiful! 


Book Riot's 2015 Reading Challenge - It is so difficult to find a good reading challenge. I've seen several for 2015, but I would read the list and immediately become uninterested. They didn't seem challenging enough. Many would list "Victorian romance", "a novel written by a woman", "a book written this year". Well, those are three of my biggest sub-genres there. I want a reading challenge that really stretches me and this one delivers! I'm not sure that I will follow it to the letter, but it encourages me to break out of my reading comfort zone and purposefully read from different sub-genres. I love it! These are likely to be books I will enjoy very much, and the challenge is short. 24 tasks is only two per month. 


"The Unbreakable Laura Hillenbrand" - This NY Times look at author Laura Hillenbrand is really enjoyable. The Times takes readers into the life of this author, plagued by chronic pain and fatigue. The way she approaches her writing and craft is interesting. It really shows that people can overcome daily obstacles to achieve great things! I was so inspired after reading this that I picked up a copy of Unbroken and started reading.


New Gender Gaps - The Times focuses this article on the Stanford graduating class of 1994 who has been part of the Internet revolution. The class of 1994 (regardless of college) is really the first generation to have working careers driven and dominated by the Internet. The article focuses on the speculation that gender gaps would be lessened with the rise of the Internet, but alas, they have continued to increase. Interesting stuff!


Living by Pinterest - I have a confession: I'm twenty-something and I don't enjoy Pinterest. There, I said it. So many of my friends really like Pinterest as a fun time-waster. I have never gotten into this. Mostly, I pin books or book-related things, and I pin maybe one thing a week. I go for months without even thinking about Pinterest. Friends send me pins and get mad that I don't see them for forever (most have stopped sending me things, or text me when they do so I see it). But, I could never verbalize what it is I dislike so much. This article hit the nail on the head. This woman lived by the popular Pinterest links for a week, including meals, style, organizational tips, hair and makeup, everything. Her final conclusions are that the expectations placed on people with Pinterest are unrealistic. No one has time to spend hours getting ready, cooking meals every night, and perfectly organizing every second of their life. She recommends setting priorities and having clear goals and you won't get sucked into "Pinterest despair", which is a real thing! There is some foul language (so beware), but this article had me cracking up!


What riveting reads have you found on the Internet lately? 


No comments:

Post a Comment