Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Book Review - I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai



With a title like that, how could I not read this one?? I saw this book on the best-sellers for a long time, but I honestly didn't pick it up because of the genre (I'm terrible about my disinterest in nonfiction...). Anyway, I was given the book as a gift from a friend and I'm so glad for that! 

It took me a while to read this (a little over a week). I started out being very interested in the book and really liked Malala's writing style. I was so interested to learn more about education in the middle East and how girls are viewed. Because education is my passion, I just wanted to learn from this book. 

I learned quite a bit about Malala's culture and lot about her life, but I was disappointed in the amount of discussion surrounding education. It seemed to be quite limited, given that was part of the title. The opening of the book explains Malala's shooting, then the majority of the book is her personal history leading up to those events. It becomes clear, though, that Malala is influenced by her father and much of the reasons she was shot were more to do with him and his lobbying than hers. 

I also feel that I didn't hear enough passion in the writing, which I was expecting. Again, I think due to my interest in education, I wanted more about that and was disappointed. Nonfiction is not my favorite genre and this book brings that to light again. Overall, I was a bit bored and disinterested throughout this read. It wasn't my favorite, but I'm glad I read it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment