Saturday, May 15, 2010

Training for me, training for Jack

This past week Jack and I both starting working with trainers! :)

My trainer is a personal trainer. He holds small group (4-5 people) sessions in a gym in his backyard. He is a great person, very nice and extremely encouraging but man, is he tough! He kicked my butt on Tuesday (my first workout). I left the hour long workout (30 minutes of cardio, 30 minutes of weights) in a complete daze. I felt queasy, weak and stumbled to my car. Then, for the rest of the week, I could barely walk and stairs were my enemy. On Thursday, the workout was much easier (or so it seemed). I was still sore for a few days afterwards, but the soreness is slowly working its way out of my body. I am acutely aware of muscles I didn't know I had. I have 11 weeks left of the program and am excited for my body to start chaning, my endurance to strenghten and my muscles to tone. My marathon training is going well (I'm up to 2 miles!) and the workouts with the trainer will only help my running get better more quickly.

Jack's trainer is a puppy trainer! We decided to enroll in a class, so we could both learn how to train him properly. He will learn a bunch of commands in the 8 week class. I'm so excited for what the trainer has in store! The first command we learned was "watch me". This just gets Jack's attention and focuses his attention on me. He learned this command within 5 minutes and was able to hold his gaze on me for 6 seconds without breaking (which was more than any other puppy there). :) I'm so proud of my little man. The goal by the end of the class is to have him "watch me" for 30 seconds without breaking. He can totally do that. :) He really is a great little puppy and learns things so quickly.

Besides Jack's training, he is still working on potty training and a few other commands. Potty training is going great. He always asks to go outside now and the only time he has an accident is when I don't pay attention to him (so it's my fault). :( I'm working on it too. Jack is fantastic at fetch! He can also go get a specific toy if I ask him too (his hippo, giraffe or ball). I love that he is so smart!

So, we are both working with trainers and it's tough! Wish us luck!

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment