Friday, May 28, 2010

Summer Reading

My summer reading can be divided into three categories: books for fun, educational books and graduate school books. Here is what is on the agenda for reading this summer. :)

Books for fun!

1. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
2. In the Fall by Jeffrey Lent
3. Roses by Leila Meacham
4. House Rules by Jodi Picoult
5. Mercy by Toni Morrison
6. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
7. 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper
8. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
9. Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel
10. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
11. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
12. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
13. True Colors by Kristin Hannah
14. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
15. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
16. Columbine by Dave Cullen
17. Stoner by John Williams
18. Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
19. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

Education Books:

1. Do I Really Have to Teach Reading? by Cris Tovani
2. Adolescent Literacy by (many researchers, all fantastic)
3. The English Teacher's Companion by Jim Burke (assorted chapters, not the whole thing)
4. Several books that the school I'll be working for next year wants me to read
5. Current research from the reading/literacy journals I receive :)

Graduate School Books:

1. Handbook of Orthography and Literacy edited by Joshi and Aaron
2. A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America by Ronald Takaki
3. Diversity and Multiculturalism: A Reader by Shirley R. Steinberg
4. Plus whatever books are necessary during my second 2 summer session classes

Combine all of this reading with the following summer activities:
1. Actually studying for graduate school and completing assignments/projects/presentations/tests
2. Puppy classes with Jack (and just spending time with him)
3. Working out 5 or more days a week
4. Spending time with family and friends
5. Planning lessons for next year and getting my classroom organized

I'm going to be one busy girl, but I love it!

I'll post my opinions about the books I'm reading, so if you are interested in good reads for the summer, just ask me.

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment