Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dreams of Summer...

Summer vacation is officially less than 10 weeks away (69, but who's counting). I am so ready for a long break and could not be more excited about what this summer will bring. I have been dreaming about this summer for a few months now. So what does it bring?

1. First of all, this summer will bring a complete make-over for my house. I bought the house almost a year ago (I can't believe it!) and still haven't got it quite where I want it. I will not be renting out my spare bedrooms next year, so that space will be mine to do with what I want. This make-over will begin by adding fresh paint to every room. Secondly, I will be cleaning all of the carpets, bleaching every spare inch of space and getting every last particle of dirt out of there! This will take some time, as three girls and two dogs can accumulate quite a bit of dirt, but I'm ready for it. I love to clean and this will be like summer cleaning on steroids. Finally, I am reorganizing all of the space and buying new furniture for most of the rooms (thank you, tax return).

The living room will be getting a new tv and some new lamps along with an accent table for the front entryway (granted I can find one I like). Other than that, it is perfect just the way it is and I love it! The kitchen will be getting a new dining set that I am in love with and two bar stools for extra seating. The inside of every kitchen cabinet and the pantry are also going to go through major overhaul.

The front bedroom will be turned into my personal study/office. I am painting one wall maroon, and the others an off-white color. (Yes, this will also be my tribute to A&M. I figure three degrees later, it's time to be THAT Aggie.) I am buying new bookshelves (probably 3) for one wall of the room to put all of my novels and research books on. Right now, they are on two (falling apart) bookshelves in my room and in stacks all over the place. I am also getting a desk and a few fun study chairs to complete the space. The room will be decorated with all of my Aggie pictures and my degrees. I am really excited about how this room will look but more excited to have a designated place to go study, grade papers, plan lessons, etc.

The back bedroom of my house will be turned into a guest room. I am moving my current full-size bed, dresser, cedar chest and bedside table into that room, and basically calling it done. I might buy some pictures for the walls if I have money left over, but we will see. It will be nice to have a place for friends and family to stay when they come visit.

My bedroom will be getting a new bed, dresser and bedside table. :) Jack (the puppy) and I have decided we would prefer a bigger bed, so we are going for it. It should also be mentioned that all of the furniture in my bedroom is from the 70s, 80s and early 90s and NONE of it matches. :( It is all hand-me-down stuff from my parents (some of which was bought before my parents were even married...ancient times). So, I'm looking forward to having a matching set of furniture that shows my personality.

All-in-all, I am hoping this make-over will take me about two weeks to complete. I am excited to see the results and have a perfectly clean and neat house (if only for a few weeks). The rest of my summer will be spent playing, reading and doing a little traveling.

2. In June, my mom and I are going to New York City for a few days. This is kind of like a graduation gift from my family. I got to go to NYC for my undergrad graduation and now for the master's as well. I love it and would really enjoy living there in the near future. Possibly teach at NYU or Columbia? (Hey, I can dream can't I?) I am also planning to take my mom and sister to a Rangers/Astros game in June. My mom is a huge baseball fan and the Rangers have been her team since I can remember. I think this would be a fun outing for us girls and something we would really enjoy.

July and August are pretty open at this point. I am planning to go watch the Davies Cup in Austin in July. Roddick and Nadal are playing and I have never seen professional tennis played in person despite having played it and loved it for years. I'm pumped that two of my favorite players are coming so close and that I have the opportunity to see them in action. I plan to spend August gearing up to start the PhD and my second year of teaching...oh, and of course planning something fun for my birthday.

3. Other than all of that, I plan to play, go to a lot of sporting events, work out and hang out with my friends and family as much as possible. Jack and I are really going to work on his training and get him up to the level of obedience I want from him. I have also told myself that I am going to read a lot more in the summer. I want to read one teaching, research book and one novel per week (at least). I'm also going to spend a good amount of time in study of God's word and might even try an individual bible study for the summer.

Overall, 69 days cannot come soon enough. I am so excited for this summer and can't wait to enjoy the time off recuperating and doing things I love! :)

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment