Thursday, March 3, 2011

Choices

Every morning, I wake up and have a choice to make. I can choose to be stressed about work, unhappy about that stress and moody with my friends and family, or I can choose to put a smile on my face, rest assured that God will take care of all my problems and enjoy the day. Time for a confession: lately, I have not been doing the latter of these two options. Instead, I have been selfish, and somewhat bratty, to the people I love. Sure, I'm stressed. Sure, there isn't much I can do to change it. Oh, except there is. There are many things I can do to change my stress and attitude.

1. Above all else, KNOW and TRUST that God has my back. He has never failed me, in my most cherished times and my lowest points, so why do I doubt that he has me now? He is there for me and has a plan for everything. If I am feeling stressed or beaten down by things, it is because I am not allowing Him to be in control. This is my eternal fault. I am a control-freak and think my ideas and plans are better than the plans He has for me (Jeremiah 29:11). My goal for the next few weeks, and beyond, is to really focus on letting Him take the lead. Every time I feel stressed or overwhelmed, I want to stop and focus on Him and put things into His hands. It will be much easier on me and will lead to better outcomes.

2. Secondly, I can choose to wake up each morning and be happy. Even if things aren't EXACTLY the way I want them to be, I have more than I deserve and should be over-the-moon excited about those blessings each and every day. As a reminder to myself, I'm going to list the reasons why I should be grateful and joyous every day instead of moody and pouty.
A. Family and friends who love and support me
B. A job that keeps me out of financial stress
C. A job that affects the lives of others in a positive way
D. Co-workers who go out of their way to support and help me grow as a teacher
E. The ability to pursue a higher education
F. Mentors and classmates who go above and beyond to make sure I accomplish my goals
G. A puppy to play with, train and snuggle with after rough days
H. Free time to enjoy all forms of entertainment (reading, sports, Wii, movies, etc.)
I. A home to keep me sheltered
J. Food anytime I want
K. Savings to fall back on
L. A Lord that blesses me with more than I could ever deserve
M. I'm going to stop there, but I could continue...

All in all, I have acted selfishly and taken my stress out on those I love and care about most when all they have tried to do is be there for me. This serves as an apology coupled with a realization that I must actively make the choice every day to be happy, successful and stress-free. "If you want to be happy, be." I do and I will.

-Tracey

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog, you are awesome! Your students are lucky to have such a positive role model for a teacher. So glad I get to work with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apology accepted. Just keep doing what you are doing and everything will work out, in the long run, for the best. I love you and always want you to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! God will take it as long as we give it to Him. I too struggle with my way vs. His way. But today it is His way! :)

    ReplyDelete