Thursday, March 31, 2011

Here's to you, Daddy: the last of a dying breed...

So, I have had this blog in my head for a very long time. I will preface by saying that I usually try to find the optimism in everything I write, but tonight, I just want to be pessimistic. Especially, on this topic.

This is something I say to my dad on a regular basis. Every time a man makes me feel unspecial or doesn't treat me the way I think is right, every time a relationship fails, every time I get annoyed at the fact that I have friends getting married (way too young)...I look him in the eyes and say, "Dad, you are the last of a dying breed". He completely understands the implications of what I am saying...guys just aren't like they used to be.

What do I mean? Simple. My father takes care of the women in his life and is a true provider and protector. He single-handedly takes care of my mom, sister, myself and his mother. Unconditionally. Without wanting anything in return. With being completely satisfied with my presence as all the thanks he needs. He constantly goes above and beyond for the women he loves.

To demonstrate, I will share a small story. One day last summer when I was preparing for my upcoming teaching position, I was sitting in the middle of the living room floor at my parent's house sorting school supplies I had acquired. I off-handedly mentioned that I should put labels on my pens and pencils that say "NOT MY PEN" so that the students wouldn't accidentally take them. I kept on with what I was doing. The next morning, I woke up and came into the kitchen. Sitting on the kitchen counter were printed labels that said "NOT MY PEN", cut out and laminated. :) What a sweetheart. Guys, this is the kind of thing that completely melts my heart every time. Every single time I go visit my parent's my dad makes me homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch because I love them so much, and he always fills my truck with gas. :)

He is unconditionally loving to my mom, his wife of 33 (soon-to-be-34) years. He is willing to do absolutely anything to make my mom, sister, grandmother and myself happy or to meet a need we have. Without complaint, he works more than any person I have ever seen. As I hope my story demonstrated, the one thing he does that means more to me than anything in the world is that he listens to what I say. He hears me tell him what I need or want and he always pulls through.

Now, I am not naive enough to believe that I could ever be lucky enough to find a man as great as my father to call my husband (in the distant future). However, it would be nice to meet a guy that is at least in the ballpark. I cannot even find a guy who is nice enough to take me out on a date, much less meet my emotional or physical needs. At this point in my life, I simply want someone who is nice to me and consistent. Someone who wants to see me and has the ability to not be a total jerk. That would be lovely.

So, the point of this blog is to answer a question: is the older generation of men (and I mean older as in my father's age) really the last of a dying breed? At least from my side of the story, the answer will have to wait (possibly for 10 or more years...or possibly never).

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment