Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Book Review - More Than This by Patrick Ness

More Than This by Patrick Ness


Ever since I first read A Monster Calls, I have loved Patrick Ness. He is unlike any other author I've encountered. His stories are unique, thrilling, adventure-filled and puzzling. He writes characters that are so deep, the reader gets sucked into their lifestyle and feels their pain. Each character he writes is wounded and suffering to find the balance between reality and fantasy. I cannot get enough of his books and will probably read a book just because he wrote it. He's on my author list.

More Than This was no different in its ability to confuse, puzzle, and amaze me. The story begins with the main character's death. That is page one. From there, the story takes so many twists and turns. It was very inception-esque and in the end, I did feel a bit throttled. I'm unsure whether my conclusion is the one the author intended. And, I love that! I could talk about this book all day with a friend and would relish the idea of chatting up Patrick Ness about it. 

What I love about More Than This is that it does not shy away from difficult topics. Patrick Ness writes about issues surrounding adolescents and their sexuality. He brings to light some of the consequences of parental choices on children. Most of all, he cautions against becoming too absorbed in an online reality different from the reality we are living. I felt like shutting down every social media account I have after reading this. 

I would highly recommend this novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment