Friday, February 27, 2015

Italian-Style Pot Roast

I am a sucker for pot roast. It is one of my all-time favorite meals and one of the first foods I mastered cooking. During the cold winter months (and on icy weeks like this one), this meal comes into my weekly routine. Nothing warms the soul like that smell, the warm potatoes and carrots, and that yummy juice! In one of my new cookbooks, The Southern Living Cookbook, I saw a recipe for Italian-style pot roast and knew I had to try it. While I love the traditional dish, an Italian-spin could be fun!

It was just as easy to make this slight variation in the crockpot. :)

1. Put the pot roast in the crockpot. Season with lots of Italian seasoning and salt.

2. Pour beef broth into the crockpot around the roast (I usually put about 2 inches deep. I don't like for it to cover the roast, but if you like that, go for it!). Add one can of crushed tomatoes (you can use any tomato-form, but I like crushed).

3. Cook on low heat for 8 or so hours. The meat will be tender and will fall apart when you pick it up with a fork.

4. Cook some egg noodles as described on the package (boil water, cook noodles for 8-10 minutes, drain).

5. Pile a heap of egg noodles on a plate and top with some pot roast. I added chunks of fresh mozzarella then drizzled some of the broth, Italian juice from the crockpot over the top.

It was delicious!! And, it froze really well...I think it even tasted better after unfreezing. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment