Thursday, February 5, 2015

Book Review - The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells


As I've mentioned before 2015 has made me become really interested in all things time travel! Of course, that means I needed to read H.G. Wells' classic The Time Machine. I've seen the movie and liked it, so I figured I would enjoy the original masterpiece. I've also been trying to read more classics in the past few years to enrich my literature base. This novel fit both of those goals and is really short! 

Many of my friends in book club as well as my mom and sister read audio books. I'm skeptical about audiobooks because I tend to zone out a bit. I've read a few long books that I would never get through on my own through Audible and liked them. I've decided to try to supplement other books through listening as I drive and get dressed in the mornings. The Time Machine is my first audio book of the year and I think it was a good choice. 

Overall, I liked this novel but did not love it. I really appreciated how advanced Wells' thinking was on how society would morph over so many years. He really focused on how divided society was at the time (and arguably still is today) and how this division ultimately led to two species of human who did not interact. I liked the details of the flora and fauna in the future and how he used this to convince society that time traveling had occurred. My one complaint is that I did feel the story was too short! I wanted more. Really, the entire novel is about one time travel adventure. I want to know more about where the time traveler goes next and how his life is altered by visiting the future. Dang you, H.G. Wells for making me want more! This book is on my "Recommendations List", and I think anyone would benefit from reading it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment