Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Book Review - Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

This book is so difficult for me to review. I read nonfiction all day long for work, so when I have time to unwind and relax, nonfiction is not what I gravitate toward. However, I loved the article in the New York Times and all the buzz about the movie, so I wanted to read this one for myself. 

First, let me just say that this is one of the most beautifully written books I've ever experienced. I loved every single word. The author is masterful. The sentences were gorgeous. The only thing that kept me reading was just the fact that it was so well written. Rarely are books like that. Sad, but true. 

The quality of the writing was about all I really enjoyed about this book. Yes, it is a great story and heart-wrenching. But, let me be honest, I'm not all that into war stories. I know it occurs every day and I have the utmost respect for our soldiers, but I don't want to experience it myself. Much of this book was just too much for me to read. 

Secondly, I was actually quite bored through most of it. There was so much detail and most of the details seemed to be proving how much research the author had done. When I'm reading research, I value this above all else. However, when I am reading for pleasure, I don't really care. 

This book is fantastic and for anyone who enjoys a war story or nonfiction, I encourage you to pick this up immediately. If you are like me, it might not be your cup of tea. It is a masterpiece that is beautifully crafted. It just wasn't the book for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment